Overview and Background
In December 2019, Governor Kemp asked all state agencies to think strategically about how to improve business processes by eliminating duplication, better utilizing technology, or other methods of efficiency, to include thinking strategically about workforce needs and how to best leverage existing positions and personal services funding. Additionally, the Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget (OPB) asked all state agencies to institute a strategic hire (critical hire) approval process. (Source: University System of Georgia FAQ, 12/31/19)
What is a Critical Hire?
A critical hire is considered a position that the institution must fill in order to maintain student success, patient/life safety, and to successfully meet required compliance and accreditation standards. A critical hire is not the same as an important hire. We have many positions within the university system that are important to institutional success, but would not be considered critical. Important positions will not be approved while the critical hire process is in effect.
The critical hire process and submission link was shared with CBOs and CHROs via email on December 16, 2019. This web site provides resources and guides on the new process. (Source: University System of Georgia FAQ, 12/31/19)
Georgia Tech Internal Review Process: Resources and Guides
Information regarding critical hires must be reviewed and approved on local campuses for all positions, and also by the University System Office for staff positions prior to posting. The resources below outline the overall process for review / approval of position requests, how to fill out the online request form, and answers to frequently asked questions. As more information is provided by the University System, we will update these resources accordingly.
- Process Overview / Training Materials
- Online Critical Hire Justification Template, to be filled out by unit HR Reps / Directors / Business Partners (password required)
- Resource Guide: How to Fill out the Template
- Editable PDF version of the online template for use in drafting and getting local approval (Official submission can only be made in the link above.)
- This process impacts positions with a salary > $40,000. For staff postings, please use the Market Reference Point (MRP) of a JCCS salary range to determine if a posting requires a Critical Hire Justification review. A complete list of JCCS titles and salary ranges is available on the GTHR - Compensation web site (CAS login to downloadable spreadsheet).
- For additional information, please consult your local HR Rep / Director / Business Partner. Additional questions can be sent to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org